An enchanting castle tower
A nearly 600 year tower which forms part of a nearby Scottish Borders castle has gone on sale. Old Buittle Tower was originally the bailey, or outer enclosure, of nearby Buittle Castle and it sits on a protected site of historic interest as it was given into the hands of clan Douglas in the 14th century, forming links to the Scottish crown.
The castle, dating from the 13th century, has an important part to play in Scottish history. It was once owned by John Balliol and Devorguilla of Galloway, who was also responsible for Sweetheart Abbey near Dumfries, where the story goes that this is where she kept her late husband’s heart. The Castle mote and ruins are owned by Balliol College Oxford which is where the college’s first statutes were sealed by Lady Dervorguilla in the 13th century. The castle was raided twice by troops Robert the Bruce, in 1308 and then in 1313, which destroyed much of its structure.
Over the centuries the tower has been extended with additional floors added to create four floors of accommodation, and with a stone spiral tower staircase that winds its way up to the different levels. Some of the period features include stained-glass windows, stone walls, key-hole windows and solid oak doors. The tower is surrounded by five acres of private grounds which incorporates a courtyard and various outhouses, formal gardens, agricultural buildings and sheltering woods.
On the ground floor you will find the entrance hall, a cloakroom, and the impressive banqueting hall with a vaulted stone roof. There is also the kitchen, dining room, sitting room, and en suite bedroom on this floor. On the first floor, the exterior stone staircase opens to an oak panelled entrance hall and great hall with stone flag floor, ante room and a landing over the lower hall.
On the second floor the winding stone staircase leads to a half landing bathroom and two rooms to the front. On the third floor a timber staircase leads to a half-landing bedroom and three further bedrooms, two of which have an en suite.
The main courtyard is enclosed by a number of historic outbuildings. This includes a stone built laigh house with impressive ceremonial hall and a galleried bedroom complete with four poster bed, working fire and deep sill windows overlooking the courtyard. The building next to it has two further rooms that include a period kitchen complete with restored oven.
There is also an open barn and stabling area off the rear courtyard. This has a separate entrance and a peaceful woodland path leads down to the banks of the river Urr. The tower house is surrounded by formal lawns and gardens with drystane boundary walls, and beyond this are grazing paddocks.
Having been altered and restored to residential use by the previous owners around 25 years ago, the tower is now in need of further refurbishment and modernisation but offers an extremely rare opportunity to acquire a traditional and historic building – not often available on the open market. And with its hugely interesting history, this tower is one not to miss.
Offers over £475,000
5 bed house with 5 public rooms and land over one acre
ESPC ref: 371697
EPC rating: D
Contact: For more information call 01573 225999
Selling solicitor: Hastings & Co