First time buyers guide
Buying a home in Scotland? Our first time buyer guide on how to buy your first home, first time buyer mortgages and all the latest news and advice has got you covered.
First time buyer guide Scotland: how to buy your first home
Buying your first home can be an exciting time. But as with anything you do for the first time, there can be a few unknown elements along the way.
Check our first time buyer guide below for the key steps to buying your first home.
And don’t worry if you have any questions, we’ve got experts on hand to guide you through the whole process of buying your first home across Edinburgh, the Lothains, Fife, the Borders, central and west of Scotland and also Dumfries and Galloway.
- Find a property agent – it is a legal requirement to have a solicitor agent in Scotland, and they’ll be able to help you through your whole first time buyer journey.
- Get a mortgage in principal – this is confirmation from a bank saying how much they may lend you should you put in an official application
- Work out your budget – this should take into consideration all moving costs. Your property agent and mortgage adviser will be able to help you with this.
- Find your dream home – this is the fun bit. ESPC advertise hundreds of flats and houses for sale that are perfect for first time buyers 72 hours before other websites.
- Make an offer – the even more exciting bit! Make sure you check the Home Report before doing so, but again your property agent will be able to help you with this.
- You've had your offer accepted - hooray! Now it's time to formalise your mortgage and complete the legal process. Your property agent and mortgage adviser will be able to guide you through all the official paper work for buying your first home.
- Start counting down to moving day – check out our guide to help make moving day as stress free as possible.
First time buyer guide Scotland: first time buyer mortgages
Finding the right mortgage is one of the most important steps to buying your first home.
Here’s why we think ESPC Mortgages are the perfect partner to help you navigate through the first time buyer mortgage market.
- They are independent mortgage advisers – this means they aren’t linked to any one bank and work to get the best possible deal for your personal circumstances.
- They have over 80 years experience of helping people buy their first home between them – there’s no question they haven’t been asked before!
- They are a friendly bunch – the mortgage process can be rather jargon and process heavy, but our mortgage advisers are great at making the whole mortgage process as pain free as possible. Check out their recent testimonials here.
First time buyer guide Scotland: the latest first time buyer news and insights
First time buyer schemes, advice and good areas to buy are always evolving. That’s why we keep you up to date through ESPC news.
Here’s some of the most helpful recent first time buyer articles:
- Can I get a 5% deposit mortgage?
- Everything we know so far about Scotland’s new first time buyer scheme
- Our favourite first time buyer areas in and around Edinburgh
First time buyer guide Scotland: free face-to-face first time buyer advice in Edinburgh
As every first time buyers circumstances are slightly different, the likelihood is you are going to have some questions along the way.
We believe everyone has the right to free impartial advice on buying your first home.
So, get your list of questions together, and find out the different ways to access our free advice services
- Sign up to our next free first time buyer event.
- Come in and visit us – we offer free advice 7 days a week in our information centre. No strings attached. And there’s always a coffee on offer too.
- Sign up to our regular emails – okay this one isn’t quite face-to-face, but if you aren’t ready to see us in person, you can find out loads of useful information through our regular property emails.